New Jersey Birds: A Core List of Books and Periodicals
The following are books and periodicals of interest to birders interested in status, distribution, and birding sites in New Jersey.
- Boyle, William J., Jr. 2002. A Guide to Birdfinding in New Jersey 2nd ed. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Boyle, William J., Jr. 2011. The Birds of New Jersey: Status and Distribution. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Bull, John. 1964. Birds of the New York Area. New York: Dover Publications.
- Bull, John. 1970. Supplement to Birds of the New York Area. Proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York: No. 71, pp. 1-54.
- Cruickshank, Alan D. 1942. Birds Around New York City. New York: American Museum of Natural History.
- Fables, David. 1955. Annotated List of New Jersey Birds. Urner Ornithological Club.
- Griscom, Ludlow. 1923. Birds of the New York City Region. New York: American Museum of Natural History.
- Halliwell, Tom; Rich Kane, Laurie Larson, and Paul Lehman. Historical Report of the New jersey Bird Records Committee. In: Records of NJ Birds, XXVI (1): 13-14 (Spring 2000).
- Leck, Charles F. 1984. The Status and Distribution of New Jersey Birds. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Sibley, David. 1997. The Birds of Cape May. 2nd ed. Cape May: New Jersey Audubon Society.
- Stone, Witmer. 1908. The Birds of New Jersey. Annual Report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton: The John L. Murphy Publishing Company.
- Stone, Witmer. 1937. Bird Studies at Old Cape May. New York: Dover Publications.
- Urner Ornithological Club. 1959. First Supplement to the Annotated List of New Jersey Birds. Urner Ornithological Club.
- Walsh, Joan; Vince Elia, Rich Kane, and Tom Halliwell. 1999. Birds of New Jersey. Bernardsville, NJ: New Jersey Audubon Society.
Journals and Periodicals:
- Audubon Field Notes/American Birds (Prior to 1976, Hudson-St. Lawrence and Middle Atlantic Coast Regions; Hudson-Delaware Region, 1976- )
- Cassinia. Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, 1901-
- New Jersey Nature Notes. New Jersey Audubon Society, 1951 – 1976.
- Peregrine Observer. Cape May Bird Observatory, 1977-
- Records of New Jersey Birds. New Jersey Audubon Society. 1977-2009.
- Urner Field Observer. Urner Ornithological Club, 1939 – 1983 (irregular).
Compiled by Tom Halliwell
A description of the pelagic boundaries separating New Jersey and neighboring states can be found here.